Thursday, October 30, 2008

It's A Boy Thing

I am surrounded, it seems. Every time I turn around...boys. It suddenly occurred to me as I answered the knock on the door to yet another pack of boys, that there is a disproportionate ratio here....or maybe it's just that the boys make themselves noticed more. I suddenly find myself trying to communicate with the male species on a fairly regular basis, which is odd, considering I am working in a field predominantly occupied by women. But my role separates me out and I somehow feel like a magnet.

Case in point. I need support for my technical problems...and they are at my beck and call. I only need hit the submit button on my computer to request assistance and the phone rings. Usually I end up helping them see that I am the only one that can truly solve my problem. But they like to try. Tech workshops? Male teachers...some of whom have showed up every time. They hang on my every word as if I somehow hold the key to all things magical and wonderful.

Tech committee? Tech work groups? Maybe it's the word "Tech." I honestly did not anticipate the exuberance and zeal with which they would come calling. It somehow feels odd, being the female that holds the answers to their questions. What about my questions?

Oh, and might I add it's all ages...young, old, and in between. Where did they all come from? Perhaps it's because I came from a very different world, but I am surprised at the integrity and genuine enthusiasm as well as manners. These boys of all ages are actually polite and considerate, thoughtful and willing to learn and change and grow.

As the second pack of adolescent trick or treaters left my porch exalting in the Reese's and Kit Kats, they exclaimed,"It's our favorite! Happy Halloween! Hey put that back!.." As they admonished each other for being greedy. Dad's with babies, "Hi, we're your new neighbors!" I am besieged with flashy, toothy grins, an occasional wink, and a willingness to be on their very best behavior. Are they trying to impress me? Well, so far it's worked.

Maybe it's because for so long my expectations have been so low, and I have been cloaked in a shroud of darkness and doubt; now I am finally coming out int o the light again, and able to see and appreciate the good that is everywhere. A smile and a happy face go a long way....It is easy to smile now.

No comments: